Jobs at Evervault
Make interfaces for the encrypted web.
The developer experience we create at Evervault is by far the most important driver of our success. Our interfaces are central to this. Underlying technology is not enough to build great products.
We may have the best encryption engine in the world, but if we present it in a slipshod manner, developers will perceive it as slipshod — which is why we invest tremendous energy into carefully designing & crafting our interfaces and tools.
We hire designers who code because we believe that design is execution dependent and that the actual implementation is where design matters — which requires designing with code & knowing how apps should look, work, and feel.
We trust creative selection from initial idea through the final, shipped product. Real artists ship. We keep workflows loose and fluid. We start small, and we don’t wait around for inspiration to strike to start designing. We make demos, and we evolve our work by slowly converging on better versions of our vision — blending in insights from smart colleagues and users.
You’ll be joining as the second designer at Evervault, and you’ll have total creative ownership over your work.
This person will
- Take concepts and ideas and make them come alive as interactive prototypes, or demo-able code
- Forge and discover user-centric design that is as functional as it is beautiful
- Ensure design consistency across everything — including our documentation, dashboard, and websites
- Listen to the guidance of smart colleagues and users, but ultimately trust their sense of taste and vision
- Work with a passionate, talented, ever-curious group of engineers and designers
You may be the right fit if
- You have a strong vision for what great design looks, works, and feels like
- You know that design is highly execution dependent — meaning that the actual implementation is where design matters
- You’re bold, you take chances, and iterate: you can’t be right until you know what’s wrong, and you can’t forge unique design by copying other designers
- You sign your name: we only ship when we’re ready to sign our name on it; if you don’t care, why should our users?
You are the ideal person if
- You can code — or, at least, are willing to learn
- You take pride in your craft and your ability to solve hard problems
- You’re obsessive — fanatical, even — about great design and consistency
- You care obsessively about microscopic details in your design
- Ownership over your work, and in the company
- Open vacation policy
- Flexible work hours
- Build your dream machine & workspace
- Health insurance
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Relocation costs
- Free lunch & dinner
We've designed our hiring process to simulate our day-to-day as much as possible, and to provide you with the opportunity to work with us as much as possible before deciding to join.
Here’s what our hiring process looks like for designers:
- Application: Submit your application including links to your portfolio & profiles (e.g. Dribbble, GitHub), and any projects you’re particularly proud of.
- Introduction call: An opportunity for us to get to know you & for you to learn more about Evervault.
- Take-home task: A design & implementation task that will help us understand how you think about design.
- Design call: We’ll do an hour call where you may extend the take-home task. This helps us see what it’s like working with each other.
- Offer: We aim to go from introduction call to offer made within two weeks.
Sending a solution for one of these design challenges is an effective way of impressing us:
- Design your ideal version of a browser’s Developer Tools 🔍
- Design an analytics dashboard for a blog 📈
- Design a landing page dedicated to your hometown 🏡
Implementing a part of your solution to show your UI interaction skills — like a widget for your analytics dashboard, the hero for your landing page, or a component for the developers tools — is an even greater way to impress us.